Tuesday 8 August 2017

REVIEW: The Third Reich in History and Memory

Do you ever wish you could go back to the subject you studied at university? Maybe I'm sad, but I often do. I finished my three-year history undergraduate degree 11 years ago, but I still wish I could keep up to date with the latest ideas and interpretations being put forward by historians. A BBC History Magazine subscription scratches the itch to be fair, but I know there's more 'going on' in the world of history that I'm missing.

I quite fancied doing a Masters but journalism called - and I don't regret moving on to something that offered a job at the end of it.

Anyway, it was a sense of 'degree nostalgia' that drew me to my latest book, The Third Reich in History and Memory by Richard J Evans.


My degree actually started with a module looking at the study of history. In essence, we were asked to consider whether the study of history was really possible or worthwhile. I wonder of they still do that in an era of £9,000-plus fees. Would they want those high-paying students to question the value of their course??

Still, it was during this daunting and difficult early module that I stumbled across Richard J Evans' book In Defence of History. As the name suggests, it offered a strong case for the real value of my degree subject of choice. It remains to this day the most inspiring and influential book I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

From then on I knew I could trust Evans to provide a robust analysis of history and this book was the perfect fit for me. A collection of essays, speeches and reviews from recent years, this explores the latest debates and developments in the studies of Nazi Germany. In essence, this filled me in on everything that's happened in the decade since I was last engaged in academic study and had access to journals etc.

The book is a real triumph, flowing surprisingly well given that it's a collection of material that weren't originally intended as one volume. Indeed the 'episodic' nature of the content was ideally suited to our reading club at work - even if the occasional passer by looked a little perplexed by the subject matter for a lunch time read.

I was particularly intrigued by the sections exploring the way in which people have attempted to link 19th Century German foreign policy and the actions of the Nazis - and Evans' views on the extent to which we can say the Nazis led a 'dictatorship by consent'.

I won't attempt to explore any of the arguments here - I doubt I'd do Evans justice - but it's great to read the work of someone at the top of their profession arguing passionately and persuasively based on facts and experience. Evans is sometimes scathing in his reviews but always seems, to me at least, fair even when he's being firm.

This book ended up being much more than just degree nostalgia. It was intellectually stimulating and enlightening at every twist and turn and I'm pleased I picked it up. If you're missing your degree subject at all, I hope you're lucky enough to be able to find a book like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment